Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend of Cross-Cultural Awesomeness

This weekend has been uber-cool--Friday night Kristy and I went with some friends to a Balkan dance night thingie up in Inwood (the northern tip o' Manhattan), with some really awesome local NYC traditional Balkan bands. It got me all excited for the exotic music possibilities o' New York that I haven't been paying too much attention to due to my job sucking in most of my time--apparently one of the bands that played Friday has a funk-infused alter ego called "Balkan Soul Party" that plays down in Brooklyn every few weeks. "Balkan Soul Party"? That sounds like Czech for PURE AWESOME.

Saturday we went to a really cool exhibit at the Jewish Museum on the art of William Steig, who was with the New Yorker for forever and also did some really awesome childrens' books, like Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, Shrek!, Doctor De Soto and the like. It was really cool to see his sketches, and get a better feel for his books, some of which I've got in my classroom. Ever since the beginning of the school year, I've started to fall more and more in love again with children's books. I can't wait to have some chilluns to share them with.

1 comment:

hoolia goolia said...

Haha, I'm with you: "Balkan Soul Party" sounds like a big pile of awesome.

I downloaded a band called Balkan Beat Box the other day that someone recommended to me from FreeIndie.com--y'all should totally check out that site. So many good musics to discover!